Need Bathroom Rennovation Tips? Add Lights!
Considering a bathroom renovation? New lighting can really make a difference. We found this great article on the American Lighting Association about how to add lights to your bathroom and thought it was worth sharing with you:
TEN WAYS TO LIGHT UP YOUR BATH
1. SHOWER POWER: Lighting in the shower stall should be bright enough to help avoid spills while making shaving and shampooing easier. Choose light fixtures designed for use in wet areas.
2. TUB TIP: Tubs, like showers, need good general light, which can be provided by a recessed fixture. To avoid glare, aim the light’s beam at the outside edge of the tub.
3. WINDOW DRESSING: Windows provide natural light to supplement or replace the electric options, particularly during the day.
4. NIGHT BRIGHT: Create a nightlight by illuminating the floor in the toe-space below vanities and cabinets with a linear lighting system.
5. GET GLOWING: Indirect (or cove) lighting with its hidden light source is purely aesthetic, adding a soft, warm glow to the bathroom.
6. MIRROR, MIRROR: Good mirror lighting, like that provided by warm fluorescent vertical wall sconces, will provide the even facial illumination necessary for eliminating dark circles and shadows.
7. VANITY FARE: A halogen light above the vanity provides cross illumination when used in conjunction with wall sconces.
8. TABLE TOPPER: Table lamps add a soft, human touch to bathrooms. Display them away from water sources…on tables, vanities, or multipurpose bathroom islands found in larger homes.
9. CEILING FIXTURE: A decorative light fixture suspended from the ceiling provides an elegant touch while adding extra light.
10. POTTY PANACHE: Focused flood or halogen fixtures over the commode provide good light for watercloset reading.
Photo: House Beautiful