Things to Consider for your Kitchen Lighting Plan
You are probably aware that for any room to look its best and function properly it must have the right lighting. However, many homeowners fail to make lighting one of the main priorities when designing a room, especially in kitchens. As an extremely functional area creating a kitchen lighting plan is extremely necessary. Consider these things to include in your kitchen lighting plan if you are working on a new design:
- Avoid glares- one of the most common mistakes is attempting to light the kitchen with one ceiling fixture, or recessed lighting in a generic grid which results in extreme glare.
- Plan for layers- no single light fixtures can provide all the lighting for a kitchen, one that is well lit will layer the four types of lighting.
- Task lighting to be used for specific tasks
- Ambient lighting to create a warm glow, soften shadows and make people feel welcome
- Accent lighting to provide depth and dimension
- Decorative lighting to add sparkle style
- Include dimmers- the kitchen benefits from various levels of light just as any other area. It should be brighter when cooking or cleaning up, and dimmer when partaking in a meal.
- Hire a lighting designer- a professional lighting designer will study the layout and design of your kitchen and determine how to best illuminate it.
If you need additional help devising a kitchen lighting plan for your home come visit us at Light Innovations!
Tips adapted from HGTV