Ready to update a room or two in your home with new light fixtures? Great, but do you know what size you’ll need? Of course you need bigger fixtures to illuminate larger rooms, but there is more to it than that. Before you purchase a light fixture whose design you love, it’s absolutely necessary to make sure it is the right size for the are you are lighting. Consider these tips on how to choose the right sized light fixture as you start your search.
For Use Above a Kitchen Island or Table:
- Step 1: Measure the width of your table (or diameter, if it’s a round table)
- Step 2: Subtract 12″ from that number. This number is the maximum diameter or width your hanging light should be.
- Remember: a fixture with a busy or complex design will appear larger than it really is, so if you choose one with an intricate design scale your maximum width down slightly.
For General Lighting Use:
- Step 1: Measure the room you wish to light, from corner to corner.
Step 2: Convert this number to inches to get the ideal width of the fixture.
- Although they are a good source of general light, many chandeliers and pendants are not sufficient to light an entire room. Remember to use various layers to achieve the best light. apply the Lighting Layer Approach for the best results.
Tips from LightsOnline.com