Proper lighting in your home theater is key to creating the perfect environment to enjoy movies. Consider these tips from the American Lighting Association website:
- For general lighting, recessed fixtures on a dimmer provide soft ambient light that will let you see your popcorn without distracting from the movie. Another option is to install wall sconces or set track lighting to provide a glow along the room’s walls.
- Cabinets and shelving can be fitted with undercabinet or puck lights to illuminate electronics or collectibles.
- Cove lighting in trey ceilings can provide an element of drama. Use a dimming system to control the mood of the lighting.
- Cover any windows with blackout shades.
- Choose low-reflective fabrics and wall colors, such as black, dark blue and deep burgundy, that won’t cause glare.
- Use miniature recessed lights mounted flush with the floor surface to accent columns, artwork and other details.