In an effort to save on energy costs and help sustain the environment are you in the process of switching all the bulbs in your home to those that are Energy Star certified? If so and will be your first time using them with the fixtures in your home, Energy Star suggests the following tips when using their approved light bulbs:
- Hold the base and not the glass to screw in the bulb.
- Read the packaging to see where each bulb should be used. Not all ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs are designed to work in every socket.
- Use ENERGY STAR qualified light bulbs in places where you will have the light on for at least 15 minutes at a time. Frequently turning them on and off will shorten their lifetime.
- Most photocells, timers, motion sensors, and electronic timers are not designed to work with CFLs. Check control manufacturer and the CFL packaging for for compatibility.
- When your CFL burns out, recycle it.