Are you looking to update the lighting at your front door? If so, new lanterns will do the trick by providing adequate lighting and visual interest. No matter the style of the lantern you use it is extremely important to purchase the correct height. The height of it should be based on the height of your door, because if it is too tall or short you will not receive the proper amount of lighting for the area.
Consider these tips when choosing either one or two light fixtures for your doorway:
- If you plan to place a lantern on only one side of the door it should measure one-third the height of the door. The center of the bulb should rest 66″ above the threshold of the door.
- If you plan to use two lanterns they should each measure approximately one-fourth the height of the door. The center of the bulb should rest 66″ above the threshold of the door.
- In either case, if you choose a fixture with a long tail or top scroll pay attention to the overall bulk of the fixture.
- Don’t undersize your lanterns. As a rule of thumb, your lantern should appear to be about half the size of your door from 50′ away.
- When in doubt, always go with a larger option.
To see the lanterns we have available come visit in our new showroom at 8316 West Markham in Little Rock!
Tips from Hinkley Lighting, image from Coastal Living