Did you know you can install undercabinet lighting by yourself in about 2 to 3 hours with as little as $100 to $150? You don’t need the latest greatest appliances (which are sure to cost a fortune) in order to have a beautiful and efficient kitchen. You will not believe the difference that proper lighting can make! Adapted from a recent This Old House article, here are the basic steps for easily and inexpensively install undercabinet lighting.
- Remove the existing electrical box and purchase a new, larger one
- Run a new electrical cable long enough to reach plus 24 inches (about 12/2 NM)
- Remove the bulbs from the fixture and install using the screw provided
- Strip the end of the cable (about 6 inches) and install the cable connector in the knockout hole
- Install the new electrical box with a GFCI outlet
- Install the dimmer switch in the outlet (optional)
- Check and tighten screws on fixture and electrical box and install face plate
- Try out your new lights!