The last time you stepped out onto your deck after the sun had gone down did you happen to notice that it was a little on the dark side? If so it may be time to consider adding new fixtures to light your outdoor space. Keep these tips on lighting your deck in mind:
- You never want the bulb to be seen so hide the light source or use fixtures that shroud the LED.
- Consider post-cap fixtures because they are the easiest to install and are often all you need to illuminate your space.
- Install rail lights, or “eyeballs,” on posts in place of cap lights, or in addition to them to define your stairway.
- Install riser lights for safety on steps and level changes, your city code may require them.
- Embed recessed deck lights in the deck board every 5 feet around the perimeter for an elegant accent or to outline a low deck with no railing.
- Tuck flat LED strip lights under the handrail for a subtle effect. (ecohome magazine)
For additional tips on lighting your deck visit the Light Innovations showroom.
Image from Trex